All in one pot, on the hob, for an hour.
This recipe was a complete spur of the moment. I used what we had in the fridge.
You will need:
- Chicken (thighs)
- Selection of Veg
- 1 x Can of diced tomatoes
- 400ml of Chicken or Veg stock
- 300ml of water
- 250g of self-raising flour
- 125g cold unsalted butter
1.First place a casserole pot on the hob so it’s ready. Start cutting your chicken into pieces (doesn’t need to be perfect) and set aside.
2.Then collect all your veg and cut into pieces.
3. Now, sprinkle some olive oil into the pan, put the chicken in. I also added 2 cloves of garlic, splash of lemon juice, salt and pepper for taste. Cook the chicken until colour changes, remember to give it a stir every so often.
4. Once the chicken is done, add all the veg. Give it a quick even mix. Add the water and stock, then simmer for at least 1 hour. Check and stir every so often.
5. Meanwhile, lets start the dumplings. Place the self-raising flour and a pinch of a salt in a mixing bowl. Cut the butter up in small chunks, add to the flour and rub together until it resembles bread crumbs. Add 100ml of cold water and combine into a ball of dough. Divide into as many balls as you want.
6. Place your dumplings on top of your stew. I added some corn flour to thicken. With 30 minutes to go or until your stew has thickened and when the dumplings are fluffy and cooked.
- Remember to keep stirring and tasting. Everyone has their own taste buds.
- Add some spice: piri piri, pepper, turmeric…etc
- Add some sour cream/cream for a creamy texture.