Lasagne is perfect for those wet days.
What you will need:
- 100-200g parmesan cheese
- lasagne sheets
- butter for greasing and topping
- 200g mixed vegetables (carrot, celery, onions, garlic, courgette..etc) cut into pieces
- 40g extra virgin olive oil
- 800g mince (pork/beef) your preference
- 100g white wine
- 400g canned crushed tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp salt and pepper to taste
- 1000g milk
- 80g butter (softened)
- 100g plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 pinches ground nutmeg
- Before getting started, I used a thermomix for this meal, however I’ve made it very simple to follow if cooking on a hob. Fist, grate the parmesan cheese and set aside. Chop or blend all your vegetables and set aside as well.
3. Place any veg into a blender, it’s a good trick to put any veg in a meal, it’s less obvious for the children and unlikely for them to notice.
4. Next you want to put your oil in a large pan, adding the onions and garlic and stir until golden. Add in your meat and veg at the same time and keep on a medium heat, stirring until the meat goes brown. Add dry white wine and crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper, simmer for 20-30 mins. Then set aside.
5. Bechamel sauce: In the meantime, place milk, butter, flour, salt and ground nutmeg into a pan and cook for 12 minutes, stirring, until it gets thicker.
6. Lasagne assembly: preheat oven at 180C. Lightly grease a casserole tray. First cover base of tray with a thin layer of Bolognese sauce. Place a layer of pasta sheets over the sauce, cover with another layer of Bolognese sauce, sprinkle with some of the parmesan/cheddar cheese and cover with a layer of bechamel sauce.
Repeat layering sauce until the pots are empty, sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and dot with small pieces of butter.
7. Bake for 30-40 minutes. Allow lasagne to rest for 10 mins before cutting into squares and serving.
Tips: Prep first, keep organised and take your time.